Thursday, September 18, 2008

Problems with installing the game

I went into my local EB Games to pick up my copy of WAR this morning. They had opened early, so the poor guys seemed to be surviving on nothing but energy drinks. They cleverly had a cross-promotion going with the Games Workshop store, so I got a free White Dwarf magazine as part of my purchase. Man that takes me back.

Anyway, I started installing the game (reading the magazine as it crawled along). After it had finished I went to run the game, but it only flashed up an MSDOS box briefly and nothing happened. It turns out that my copy has a broken .exe as part of the installation, and apparently this has happened to a number of other people in Australia trying to install the game.

Thankfully there appears to be a solution - you can download a working version of the .exe file you need from here. That appears to have fixed my problems. If you're still having problems after that, try reading through this thread on the Warhammer Alliance message board for other remedies.

I think it's fair to say that this is a pretty colossal screw-up if it is widespread, but hopefully it won't put too many people off playing what is an excellent game.

No comments: