Sunday, September 21, 2008

Briefly revisiting the topic of mods

I guess it was fairly inevitable that I would do a post on mods and then immediately find a couple of new ones that I wanted to write about. What has been unexpected is how good some of the mods coming out are.

My biggest gripe about the Disciple class has been to do with the default UI making it difficult to receive information on who needs healing, and also to select the people who I want to heal.

One of the best known mods for World of Warcraft was a healing addon called Grid which gave a layout which made raid healing much easier. The WAR messageboards i've been reading have been running reasonably thick with healers hoping for a Grid-type mod for WAR. Yesterday during one of my wanders through the Warhammer Alliance UI sub-forum, I ran across one.

It's called Squared Unit Frames, and it is developed by Aiiane, the same chap (no idea if man or woman, but i love saying chap) who gave us the Clean Unit Frames and Hovercast. Squared gives a much more intuitive arrangement of group health information, and allows for easy selection. It's also reasonably customisable, in spite of being in early beta stages. I think Aiiane is in real danger of becoming the patron saint of the Warhammer modding community at this rate - I found my healing done in scenarios jumping significantly without it impairing my damage done at all.

Here's a picture of my UI running Squared (if i can get the links working):

No comments: