Saturday, October 25, 2008

Thoughts on Sacrifice spec

While I definitely enjoyed playing as a Dark Rites specced Disciple, it's not a tree that encourages you to level through PvE. When the scenarios started slowing down, I went back to levelling the old fashioned way - by hitting people with pointy objects. Slight alteration to the usual plan though, as I thought I would give Sacrifice a second go after the abortive previous try.

Since I last wrote I've hit level 36 (renown rank 29). I'm using this spec currently. The most dramatic difference from my last attempt at using the Sacrifice tree has been accessing the Empowered Transfer tactic, which dramatically improves the healing power of both the Consume Essence and Transfer Essence abilities. With this done, you're hitting mobs for between 150 and 250 per hit, but healing back 150% of that. In straight on PvE that gives you great longevity, and the unique nature of melee healing allows you to combine with tactics that normally nerf healing - Divine Fury and Murderous Intent. It's a very strong PvE spec.

Unfortunately I've found it a mixed bag in the RvR side of things - although, to be fair, that may come down to some degree on my inability to divide my attention between melee and healing at the same time effectively. The jury is still out on the straight up RvR utility - I don't feel that i've given it a fair shot yet. Where it does shine is in keep sieges and similar situations. Consume Essence heals all allies within a very small AOE, and because of this you end up with a very effective healer against keep lords without sacrificing a single point of dps.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Just found your blog, nice to see something specific to DoK. I have a DoK as an alt right now, switched to a Zealot because I felt it was a much more effective healer.

When I play my DoK, I don't worry as much about healing others. It is just too difficult for me to be in the thick of battle and watch health bars and constantly switching defensive targets while keeping myself alive too.

I decided to respec to Sacrifice, thinking I could just focus on meleeing people down and doing some group healing as I do. My damage and healing are usually about equal.
I'm only level 20 so still a long way to go but I'd love to hear more of your experiences with Sacrifice spec in T4.

Max said...

Yes its good to see a DoK specific blog. I was planning on making one and was searching for information and happen to find you. Keep up the good work.